Undergraduate FAQ

What undergraduate degrees can I earn?
Undergraduate students earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in one of two tracks: News and Information or Strategic Communication. The school offers a journalism minor as well.
Which track should I select?
If you see yourself reporting, writing or editing news — online, broadcast or print — choose the News and Information track. If you see yourself developing advertising, public relations, marketing, messaging, branding or promotional campaigns, or working to help corporations, governments or organizations communicate, choose the Strategic Communication track
What will my course load be like?
A normal semester load is 15 hours. Undergraduate Journalism majors take 42 hours of coursework in the J-School. The Bachelor of Science program also requires a generous sampling of courses in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. Upper-level courses, internships and jobs on the University Daily Kansan, The AgencyKUJH-TV or Media Crossroads provide valuable experience but require considerable time.
What about a double major?
Absolutely! Journalism students are well-rounded with a variety of interests. A non-journalism major or minor is required as part of your degree. See an advisor for details.
What is the faculty like?
Faculty at the J-School are very student-centered. All faculty members are experts in their fields, and many are leaders in professional organizations. They bring real-world experience to the classroom but also serve as mentors for students. See profiles of individual faculty members here. 
What about internships and job placement?
The Journalism Career Center offers leads, tips, coaching and other assistance in getting both internships while in school and jobs after graduation. Employers from around the United States come to the school throughout each year to interview candidates for internships and jobs.
How do I apply to the School?
Please see full admission requirements online. If you have any questions about your status, please contact Himée Kamatuka, recruitment and retention coordinator, at hkamatuka@ku.edu or 785-864-7620.
I'm not majoring in journalism but want to take some journalism courses. Which can I take?
Please see this list for journalism courses that all KU students can take.
Can I get a scholarship?
The School of Journalism awards a variety of scholarship funds donated by alumni and friends of the school. These are awarded through the KU Endowment Association. The deadline for scholarship applications is Dec. 15. Visit our scholarship information page for details. Last year, the J-School awarded more nearly $600,000 in scholarships and awards to J-School students. See additional opportunities for journalism students here. KU's external scholarship site, www.scholarships.ku.edu, is an excellent resource for external scholarships.
Where can I get more information?
Student Services Office
Stauffer-Flint Hall, 1435 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 117, Lawrence, KS 66045-7575
(785) 864-4080 | jadvising@ku.edu

Become a Jayhawk - Apply Today

Still have questions?

Student Services Office
Stauffer-Flint Hall, 1435 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 117, Lawrence, KS 66045-7575
(785) 864-4080 | jadvising@ku.edu