How to Apply
Email Graduate Advisor Jammie Johnson, stating which position you are applying for (GTA or SH) and why. Please attach your résumé.
- Fall – Nov. 1 (for spring appointment)
- Spring – Jan. 2 (for fall appointment)
You may apply at any time prior to the deadline.
- You will be notified if an online application is needed. (All GSH positions will require an online application. You will receive an email notifying you when the positions are posted.)
- You may be invited for an interview. Not all positions involve interviews, however.
- You will be notified of the appointment—its terms (dates and pay), your assignment and supervisor. Your supervisor will also be notified of the appointment.
University of Kansas Graduate School GTA Requirements
- You must be a degree-seeking graduate student.
- You must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours required for the graduate degree in the fall and spring semesters. (GTAs don’t have to be enrolled in summer hours.)
- You must be in good academic standing at the time of application (cumulative GPA of 3.0.) Provisional or probationary status is not considered good standing.
- GTA assigned duties “must consist primarily of direct involvement in classroom or laboratory instruction in their own field of study or one that is closely related.”
J-School GTA/SH Requirements
- You must meet all the above requirements of the graduate school.
- GTAs must participate in all KU GTA training (dates will be provided). Failure to attend training will constitute cause for dismissal.
- All SHs are reviewed each semester and continuation of the appointment is contingent on performance and funding availability.
- Currently the J-School offers five GTA positions. The dean created additional positions for titled graduate Student Hourlies (SH). GTAs and SHs have different benefits and different expectations.
- Benefits for GTAs include a stipend and tuition waivers; are .5 appointments and qualify for participation in health care benefits at KU. SH appointments are hourly appointments, generally 10 hours per week and provide about $1,600 a semester. SHs receive no tuition waivers or other benefits.
- SHs may apply online. See application guidelines for details.
- SH positions, in addition, must be posted online. The J-School graduate office will notify you with specific information for this stage of the process.
- All appointments will be for the academic year unless graduation dictates otherwise.
- GTAs are expected to work 20 hours a week; SHs usually work 10 hours per week.
- The graduate director, the needs of the school, and the performance of the student determine GTA and SH appointments and their assignments to J-School courses or school service centers (Resource Center, Career Center, the Bremner Editing Center).
According to the memorandum from the provost to deans, directors and chairpersons dated Dec. 12, 2002, the terms of eligibility for GTAs became effective spring 2003 semester. For questions about student employment, please visit the KU Policy Library.