Public policy intern (Kansas City, Missouri)
The Public Policy department of The Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce is seeking self-motivated interns to assist in its legislative, government and community relations projects. This internship includes both independent work and opportunities for collaborative projects and high visibility interactions with business, community, elected leaders, and other KC Chamber employees/interns. Our interns are an integral part of the KC Chamber, and we value candidates who are driven to succeed and interested in community leadership.
Internship duties will vary but may include the following:
- Event preparation and attendance, including interaction with business leaders and elected officials
- Special projects that would be excellent for a resume and portfolio
- Interactions with small businesses, large corporations, policy makers, and government officials at all levels
- Issue, policy and community research for reporting
- Database management
- Website content monitoring and preparation
- Materials preparation (including possible opportunities for copywriting, design and photography)
Internships with the KC Chamber are not paid but offer valuable hands-on experience. This experience allows students to explore areas of interest and decide if this is an area for a potential career. Class credit is available to students who meet prerequisites.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Self-directed, possess effectual critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Organized, and able to manage multiple responsibilities and deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Reliable transportation
Journalism, Business, English, and Political Science majors are encouraged to apply. This is a fantastic opportunity for students to see how the business community operates, engage in policy issues and advocacy, and observe interactions and decision-making among community and business leaders.
This is an unpaid internship opportunity.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Visit https://survey.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2aU0FXU8fOqDKkJ and fill out an application.
- Resume is required
- Writing Sample and/or Cover Letter is encouraged
- Contact Kristine Vainovska Twidwell