Carol Holstead is an associate professor in the William Allen White School of Journalism and Mass Communications. With undergraduate and master's degrees in theater from Kansas State University, she aspired to become a theater critic. That aspiration changed once she discovered the world of magazine publishing. For seven years, Holstead found an outlet for her journalism skills through magazine editing and design, creating a new magazine, Floral Retailing. She then joined the J-School at KU, teaching courses in magazine design, production, editing and writing.
Her list of former students who have advanced into magazine professions continues to grow. Many of her students have gone on to work at prestigious magazines such as Teen People, Redbook, Working Woman, People, Southern Living and Gear.
- B.S., journalism, Kansas State University
- M.A., theater, Kansas State University
- Tim Bengtson Faculty Mentor Award, 2017
- 2009-10 Budig Teaching Professor of Writing
- Outstanding Achievement as chairperson of the Magazine Division of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication
- Technology committee, elected for a three-year term to expire in AY2015